The Best Ceramic Car Coating UK
Trying to keep a car looking shop-new can be expensive, and end up feeling like hard work. All that washing, waxing, and love feels futile when a bird finds its target ten minutes after you are done. And it isn’t just the birds; UV radiation, chips, stains, dirt, swirl marks, all of these mean that the glossy newness of your coat starts to fade and wear. Which is where ceramic car coating comes in.
Protect your vehicle’s paint with ceramic car coating
Table of Contents
Ceramic car coating uses nanotechnology to provide a layer of protection over your vehicle’s paint work. The coating forms bonds with the substrate at the nanomolecular level, and will not wash away or break down like a wax. This protection keeps your car cleaner and glossier for longer.
In this article we show you the 5 top rated ceramic car coating products available in the UK, as well as breaking down the benefits of a ceramic or glass coating for cars, and how you apply them. We also tell you where to find professional applicators in the UK as well as how much ceramic coating for cars costs.
The Top 5 Best Ceramic Coatings for Cars UK
Below are the 5 top rated ceramic coating products available in the UK. Not sure how to apply these products? Head straight to our coating description and guide below.
The Top Rated – Onewell High Gloss Ceramic
Onewell High Gloss Ceramic Car Coating Kit
A nano-ceramic protective coating made from polysiloxanes. It has 9H hardness rating, 6-12 months durability, and has a 30um film thickness. The hydrophobic effect of the coating will prevent water, dirt, and grime from marring your vehicle’s glossy shine. Features include:
- Resistance to UV radiation, scratches, and heat.
- Protection against corrosion and chemicals.
- Kit includes the ceramic coating (30mL), application sponge, and manual.
Extra Durable Simplicity – Gtechnip EXO
Gtechniq EXO Ultra Durable Coating
Gtechniq Exo is currently in its fourth generation and keeps going from strength to strength. They have updated their formula to improve hardness, durability and water spotting resistance without sacrificing the all important glossy finish. Features include:
- Up to 24 months durability
- Incredibly simple to apply
- Chemical resistant from pH3 to pH13
Hardness Guaranteed – 9H Nano Coating
9h Hendlex Nano Ceramic Shield
Tested and proven to 9H hardness, Hendlex Ceramic Shield is as hard as they get. As well as enhancing surface hardness, this coating provides a shiny finish which enhances and highlights the colour of your paintwork. Features include:
- Smoothens minor scratches and removes the holograms
- Strong hydrophobic qualities make it easy to clean and dust repellent
- Protects the surface from environmental impact: acids, alkalis, road salts and UV rays
Heightened Chemical Resistance – CarPro Ceramic Paint Protection
CarPro Ceramic Paint Protection Kit
New and improved, CarPro Ceramic Protection now has an even purer formula with heightened SiO2. Stain and chemical resistance is increased and the coating is even clearer, giving your car a glossy and clean finish that lasts. Features include:
- Finish lasts for more than 2 years
- Protects against minor scratches, acid rain, bird droppings, corrosive traffic film, tar and harmful UV rays
- Offers a deep, rich gloss with self cleaning properties
Protect Against the Elements – AllNano Ceramic Coating Kit
AllNano Exterior Ceramic Coating Kit
AllNano Ceramic Coat Pro is a thicker coating than other options, giving an even stronger layer of protection against all environmental contaminants. Your car will stay cleaner and shinier with AllNano, whether in rain, mud, sun, or snow. Features include:
- More resistant to scratches
- An attractive deep gloss lacquer
- Makes your car easier to clean
What is so special about ceramic coating for cars
Glass coating, ceramic car coating, liquid glass, nano ceramic coating, ceramic glass, car paint protection coating, is there a difference between all these products? Well, no, not really. All these terms are used to describe a nano coating based on silica/silicon dioxide (a key ingredient in glass).
These nano coatings are hydrophobic, hard, heat and weather resistant, and this is what makes them so perfect for your vehicle. A ceramic car coating makes your car paint more resilient, and easier to clean. This is because they:
- Are hydrophobic – They repel water, so water will bead on the surface and slide off. It is also more difficult for mud and grime to adhere to the surface, making washing easier and less frequent.
- Provide UV protection – When your vehicle is exposed to the sun, the paint will begin to oxidise and fade. A ceramic coating provides a barrier which protects from this effect.
- Protect from chemical stains – Acidic fluids and salt will stain and etch a paint job (including bird droppings and dead bugs), but with a ceramic coating the hydrophobic property will prevent these destructive elements from affecting the paint.
- Enhance gloss – A ceramic car coating coats your car in a slick, self-cleaning surface which makes your car glossy and shiny, like it just came out of the shop.
How ceramic car coating compares to other paint protection coatings
Glass and ceramic coatings are a relatively new solution for protecting car paint; despite the two terms, their compositions are very similar: both are car paint protection coatings. They are slowly replacing the more traditional waxing and hard waxing, which is no wonder. In the table below you can see how ceramic car coating compares to waxing and hard waxing in price and durability.
|Car paint protection coating||Durability||Price from|
|Hard waxing||up to a year||£110.00|
|Ceramic coating||from 1 to 5 years depending on the product||£300.00|
These ceramic coating prices are merely indications and include application costs. Note that glass and ceramic coating for cars cost range is wider than the one of more traditional paint protection methods.
The ceramic car coating process
Applying a ceramic coating is an intensive operation and, like other automotive coating options, require an experienced and qualified professional to apply them. The process is delicate and hiring an authorised detailer will, for most people, mean a better and more effective coating application. In the UK there are, however, ceramic car coating kits available which can be applied at home, if you wish to do so.
Like any coating application, the condition of the substrate is a key component. Before applying the coating, your car must be as clean and bare as possible; the coating will be easier to apply and work better the cleaner the car surface is to begin with. Though each individual ceramic car coating product may have slightly different application requirements (and you should always follow the specific instructions), the basic procedure is as follows:
- After washing and buffing the car, wipe it down again with a low percentage (15%) IPA solution and a microfibre cloth, to make sure there is as little contaminants and oils as possible left on the car surface.
- Take the applicator pad/cloth and apply the ceramic coating in an X pattern across it. Only a very little of the coating will be needed.
- Using a circular or back and forth motion, wipe the coating onto a panel, applying to one panel at a time.
- After 5 minutes, check the application for irregularities or high points. If they are present, gently wipe over the surface with a microfibre cloth to smooth out the surface.
- Allow to cure. This step is especially important as this is when the nano coating forms crosslinks and becomes the protective coating you need.
How much does ceramic coating cost & which products to use
The ceramic coating for cars with the highest online rating is the Onewell High Gloss Ceramic Car Coating. Below we outline the features that have given this rating, as well providing a list of the products and an indication of ceramic coating for cars cost. UK customers can find the below products that are suitable for at home applications assuming the near professional environment can be created.
Note that when applied at home, a flawless result cannot be guaranteed; ceramic coating for cars requires an absolutely contaminant free environment which can rarely be achieved in a private garage.
|Ceramic car coating product||Quantity||Ceramic coating Price (UK RRP)|
|AllNano CarCare Ceramic Coat||250mL (covers 5-10 vehicles)||£150|
|Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer||30mL (covers one vehicle)||£45|
|Carpro Cquartz Ceramic Paint Protection||30mL (covers one vehicle)||£50-55|
|Hendlex Nano Ceramic Shield 9H||40mL (covers one vehicle)||£110|
Remember that, no matter the hype, no coating is permanent unless well maintained. A ceramic or glass coating for cars will degrade if not looked after, and will need reapplication every year to five years depending on the coating.
Ceramic car coating UK – Professional applicators in the UK
The ceramic coating price for a professional application will of course be more expensive than if you had applied it at home. You are paying for the ceramic coating cost, the work hours, and also the security of a trained and experienced professional. A coating would be an investment for the serious car lover. Where waxing is a quarterly expense, a car ceramic coating cost is a one-off. A professional ceramic detail can cost anywhere from £300 up to £1600 depending on the number of coats and surface treatment required. When it comes to ceramic car coating, UK customers have a wide choice of trained professional applicators.
|Applicator||Address||Ceramic coating for cars|
|KC Detailing & Ceramic Pro Cheshire||Goddard Rd, Runcorn WA7 1QF||CeramicPro|
|Max Protect Ltd||Unit 5, Kings Park Ind Est, Kings Langley, WD4 8ST||UNC VI|
|Aspect Valeting||Locations: Manchester, Swindon, Portsmouth, London, Birmingham, Essex, Windsor, Southampton||9H ceramic coating|
If you are looking for information about a large scale project or industrial ceramic coating for cars, our experts are here to help. Just get in touch through the “Request a quote” button and we will help you find the right coating solution.