Tesla Solar Roof UK has arrived
In 2016, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced his company’s newest energy innovation: the Solar Roof. Where traditional solar panels can detract from the beauty of a house, the Tesla Solar Roof tiles integrate the solar cell with the roof tile itself, doing away with the need for clunky solar arrays. Tesla Solar Roof complements your home’s architecture while turning sunlight into electricity – even in the sun-poor UK.
Designed to look like any old roof tile, these tiles are actually made of tempered and textured glass and conceal a solar panel within their design. Each tile is treated with solar roof coating, which controls solar heat gain, energy performance, condensation and provides the unique aesthetic. The tiles will be available in the UK from 2018, but you can pre-order and reserve yours now.
Integrate solar cells and style with Tesla Solar Roof tiles
Tesla’s stated mission is to “accelerate the world’s transition to a sustainable energy future” and solar energy is an important part of their master plan. With this product, Tesla aims to make solar look so good there can be no alternative. With the Solar Roof, Tesla tries to provide a roof that is:
- integrated with battery storage
The beauty of the Solar Roof design is that you can install an entire roof of solar panels, but lose none of the beauty of your house. The special tempered glass is cleverly designed to mimic other materials (such as terracotta and slate) and the solar cell within is invisible from street level. In fact, only 40% of the tiles on your roof need to contain solar cells, depending on your energy consumption. The installation will include a mix of solar and non-solar tiles, identical from the outside.
Features of the unique design of Tesla Solar Roof tiles
Tesla’s Solar Roof will come in four tile design options: Textured, Smooth, Tuscan, Slate
Do not be fooled by their appearance; all of these options are made of the special tempered glass. Their ability to camouflage is because of a special coating or film developed by Tesla and their partner, 3M. When applied to the tile this coating prevents you from seeing through it unless you look from just the right angle, like a venetian blind. From ground level the tiles just look like tiles, and the solar panels only become visible when viewed from above.
Top 5 Benefits of the Tesla Solar Roof
So you have been thinking about going green, or maybe your old roof just needs a change. Why should you give the Tesla Solar Roof a go?
- Rising electricity prices: Electricity prices are on the rise, people are feeling the pinch. Imagine if your own roof could provide you with enough electricity to meet your daily needs? There is also an optional Powerwall solar battery so you can actually store energy.
- They’re beautiful: Solar panels may cost less, but they protrude and detract from the appearance of a property. Solar Roof tiles are beautiful, designed to work seamlessly with the aesthetic of your home, and can even be installed in conservation areas, unlike solar panels.
- They’re durable: Tesla has tested the Solar Roof tile extensively against wear and weather damage, including hail damage. As a result the tiles have the highest rating against hail, wind and fire.
- The Infinity Warranty: Tesla is so confident in the durability of its product, each tile comes with an “Infinity Warranty”. Either that or a warranty for the lifetime of your house, whichever comes first. The solar cells have a 30 year warranty, and there is also a 30 year weatherisation warranty.
- Minimal maintenance: Solar tiles require minimal maintenance. There are no moving parts, and nothing will rust, wear out or break down. All they need is to be kept clear of leaves!
The Tesla roof tiles UK cost
So you’ve decided to invest in Solar Roof tiles, but just how much is the Tesla roof tiles UK price? That depends on just how many you need. Pre-ordering requires an £800 deposit, which is refundable until you enter into a purchase and installation agreement. The cost includes removal of your current roof, installation and operations, and of course will be offset by the energy it generates.
Based on the American figures (and so subject to change), see below for a cost estimation of the Solar Roof tiles:
|Home square footage||Cost of roof||Value of energy generated over 30 years|
|2,000||£26,000 – £40,000||£38,000|
|2,500||£32,000 – £60,000||£46,000|
|3,000||£38,000 – £70,000||£55,000|
The variation in cost is linked to whether you have 40 or 70% of your roof tiles with solar cells. The average UK house size is also about half that of the American house size, at 1,000 square feet.